Stephen Cowley died on November 21, 1886. He was a Private in Company D who was on detached service at Yellowstone Depot during the battle.
Stephen Cowley was born in Sligo County, Ireland, his father was Michael Cowley, a butcher. He married Bridget Agnes Moore on January 21, 1871 in County Mayo, Ireland. He immigrated in the Spring of 1871 to the United States and immediately registered in the United States Army for the Civil and Indian Wars. He served with General Custer in Company B which was assigned the responsibility of guarding the pack train. His service continued and he was discharged from the Cavalry on September 10, 1882 at Fort Totten, North Dakota. . . .
Stephen and Bridget had 5 children, one son, Ambrose died at 5 months, those who survived are James Joseph, Stephen Joseph, Michael Joseph and Sadie Mary. Stephen died in November 1886 at Larimore, Grand Forks County, North Dakota. He is buried in the Bellevue Cemetery there. [Findagrave.com]
Other Seventh Cavalry anniversaries this week include:
- Alexander Bishop was born on November 22, 1853, in Brooklyn, New York.
- George Gaffney died in Washington, D.C., on November 22, 1916.
- Charles Braden was born on November 23, 1847, in Detroit.
- William Slaper was born on November 23, 1854, in Cincinnati.
- George Blunt died on November 23, 1905, at the Joyce Hotel in Baltimore.
- Augustus DeVoto died on November 23, 1923, in Tacoma, Washington.
- Charles A. Campbell died on November 25, 1920, in Bismarck, North Dakota.
- Joseph Tilford was born in Georgetown, Kentucky, on November 26, 1828.
- William Morris died in New York City on November 26, 1933.
- Hiram Sager was born on November 27, 1850, in Westport, New York.
- The Battle on the Washita was on November 27, 1868. See the books below for more about this infamous battle.